Prototype #7, Competition: Snowballs. I attempted to recreate a classic game where players throw snowballs at each other until one side is left standing. Unfortunately, this was my first foray with Construct, so most of my time was spent learning to do basic things. The reason for switching to Construct was two-fold: Construct can export direct to HTML5, and another class was going to use Construct.
Prototype # 8, 30 seconds: Hallway shooter. I decided to stick with Construct so that I could become more proficient with it. In terms of sticking to the prompt, I failed miserably. I was, however, happy that I at least made a mostly working game this time. I liked the effect of the lights obscuring the position of the monsters; I think the mood I was going for came across. Obviously though, the blinking lights get annoying really fast. If developed further (it won’t be) I would like to make the blinking a temporary effect after opening a door or something.
Prototype #9, Sequel: Potato. This prompt was good in theory, but fucked me in practice. I had to go back to Game Maker for this one because I was getting frustrated with ideas, and needed to be able to make my game quickly once something came to me, also my previous failures were discouraging. Honestly, I felt very unhappy about trying to expand on someone else’s idea, but that may have just been because the games we had to choose from kinda sucked (though there were some nice little gems on the list).
On a side note, the first prototype I did for Sequel included a vortex mechanic that I ended up basing Prototype #10 on.